Skip to main content

Skillful post person arranging books

Back from a trip to Berlin (seven days) and I find my postbox full with skillfully arranged (and probably rearranged) packages as a result of my book buying mania having overcome the common sense of my approaching departure!

I can only be thankful that the curious nature of airline pricing (the true meaning of which will be one of the things that are revealed in the beatific vision) forced me home for a night before traveling onward to England.

I wish I could say that the cumulative pile offered an inner coherence but, sadly, my magpie nature, as usual, got the better of me.

The thickest book (one has to have some form of organizing principle) is a replacement copy of Diarmaid MacCulloch's 'A History of Christianity'. The previous copy having been lent out beyond hope of return, I thought I should acquire (and re-read) a replacement. It is as judicious and intelligent a study as one could hope for of the global religion which, despite the wishes of the new atheists, continues to grow apace; and, not simply as a reflection of demography.

Next in order of size is a secondhand copy of John Carey's biography of William Golding. Needless to say, I read 'Lord of the Flies' at school but later read his Sea Trilogy (and will again) and found them one of the most moving and deeply imagined of contemporary novels. I liked his resistance to the three modernist 'gods' - Darwin, Freud, Marx and his ability to intimate the transcendent without naming it.

That leads to another of Marx's critics - Isaiah Berlin - and a collection of his essays, 'The Proper Study of Mankind'. I cannot think of a more lucid conveyor of ideas - either his own or that of others and either as a philosopher or an intellectual historian. Together with Walter Kaufman, he has always been the liberal unsettler of my certainties and the guardian of that which truly matters namely the ability to scrutinise, scrupulously and honestly, any and all of my assumptions.

A need that Norman Cohn's subjects needed more than most in 'The Pursuit of the Millenium: Revolutionary Millenarians and Mystical Anarchists of the Middle Ages'. This is his classic study of the urge towards the apocalyptic and the willingness of people to sacrifice the present, in all its compromised messiness, on the altar of a hoped transformation to a kingdom of saints. Be careful what one prays for; and, a book, sadly, that preserves its timeliness as we confront new versions of an old malady.

This brings me to a wholly different approach to the transformative other - Ouspensky's 'Tertium Organum'. It was written before his encounter with Gurdjieff and is his careful exploration of the boundaries of possible experience seen in the light of the esoteric or mystical in dialogue with science. It is emphatically aimed at the transformation of the individual. Ouspensky distrusted groups, even, I suspect, his own.

Finally, there is a similar aversion in Hermann Hesse's 'Wandering' which I bought as a replacement copy for one that is literally falling apart. It was published in 1920 and is a series of short essays, poems, and paintings written as Hesse settles into his new home in the Swiss canton of Ticino. It is a beautiful book and the second of his that I bought as a schoolboy, recently besotted. This is a state, though critically deepened, I have retained to this day. There are passages here I know by heart including this one, from 'Trees'.

“For me, trees have always been the most penetrating preachers. I revere them when they live in tribes and families, in forests and groves. And even more I revere them when they stand alone. They are like lonely persons. Not like hermits who have stolen away out of some weakness, but like great, solitary men, like Beethoven and Nietzsche. In their highest boughs the world rustles, their roots rest in infinity; but they do not lose themselves there, they struggle with all the force of their lives for one thing only: to fulfil themselves according to their own laws, to build up their own form, to represent themselves. Nothing is holier, nothing is more exemplary than a beautiful, strong tree. When a tree is cut down and reveals its naked death-wound to the sun, one can read its whole history in the luminous, inscribed disk of its trunk: in the rings of its years, its scars, all the struggle, all the suffering, all the sickness, all the happiness and prosperity stand truly written, the narrow years and the luxurious years, the attacks withstood, the storms endured. And every young farmboy knows that the hardest and noblest wood has the narrowest rings, that high on the mountains and in continuing danger the most indestructible, the strongest, the ideal trees grow.”

Hermann Hesse, Wandering

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Buddha meets Christ in embrace

Reading Lama Anagarika Govinda is proving nostalgic on a number of fronts. I recall my first reading of it in my first year at university, bought at Watkins, the famous 'esoteric' bookshop in Cecil Court in London. I sat in my hall of residence room transfixed by a world made familiar; and, it was deepening of a commitment to contemplation (which has been observed fitfully)! I remember returning, at the time, to my school to give a talk to the combined fifth form on Buddhism and using Govinda as the backbone of my delivery (both this book, and his equally wonderful, the Foundations of Tibetan Buddhism). I was voted (I immodestly remember) their best invited speaker of the year. I had even bought a recording of Tibetan music as opener and closer! He reminded me of how important Buddhism was (and is) to my own thinking and comprehension of my experience. The Buddha's First Sermon in the Deer Park was the first religious text I read (of my own volition) at the tender age

Searching for paradise in the hidden Himalayas

At moments of dislocation and intense social uncertainty people will appear offering the possibility of another land where people will be blessed, liberated and genuinely at home. In this case, it was not 'Brexit' but a hidden land of actual immortality, enfolded within the mountain ranges around Mt Kanchenjunga on the Nepalese/Sikkim border. Unlike Shangri-la, Beyul Demoshong was not simply a physical space, carefully hidden (as imagined in Hilton's Lost Horizon) but an occulted place spiritually hidden. The person offering this journey and opening the way to it was the 'crazy lama', Tulshuk Lingpa. Lingpa was a 'terton' a finder of 'terma' which were texts magically hidden until discovered at the right moment for them to be of maximum usefulness to people's spiritual development. They were often hidden by Padmasambhava, the robust wonder-working bringer of Buddhism to Tibet; and, Tibetan Buddhism is alive with such discoveries (though und

Parzival and the neutral angels

Fresh from contemplating 'Lost Christianity', I read Lindsay Clarke's fabulous re-telling of Wolfram von Eschenbach's poem, 'Parzival and the Stone from Heaven' from which 'Christendom' is lost! Von Eschenbach was a sacred poet but one of ecumenical sympathies where not only is Parzival's final battle (unknowingly) with his brother, the piebald Saracen, Feirefiz, essential to his self-discovery but the two of them enter the Grail castle together and are granted together a vision of the 'stone' that is the Grail. When Feirefiz asks whether it is permitted to see this Christian  mystery, Parzival answers (in Clarke's version) yes for, "all Nature's increase is there, so I think that this stone from Heaven must be a living emblem of the earth itself, which is mother and father to us all." There are knights, ladies, sorcerers, hermits and wise old hags abounding in Eschenbach's world but interestingly for a mediev